DATE: June 10, 2013
SCSO Seeks Applicants for Reserve Deputy Sheriff’s
The Shelby County Sheriff’s Office is now taking applications for Reserve Deputy Sheriffs. The next class is scheduled to begin on September 23, 2013. All interested applicants can visit our website at www.shelby-sheriff.org/volunteer for the application and information regarding the requirements.
Reserve Deputies serve in several bureaus at various times based on their availability. The officers receive the same training as full-time Deputies. Besides attending classroom courses, Reserve Deputies must meet rigorous physical agility standards, be proficient in the use of firearms, and take 40 hours of specialized training each year.
- Must have graduated from an accredited high school or GED at the time of application
- Be at least 21 years-old at the time training begins
- Pass a written, a physical, and drug test
- Be a United States citizen
- Service Requirements: 24 hours/month
A minimum of 500 hours, consisting of three (3) evenings a week from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. and eight (8) hours on Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., for a period of approximately 6 months.