POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT – Closing Date November 22, 2013
The Family Safety Center of Memphis and Shelby County, Inc. is a non-profit corporation located in the City of Memphis, TN whose purpose is to effectively combine civil, criminal, health and social services in order to help victims of family violence. Founded in 2009 under the Memphis Child Advocacy Center, it became its own entity in 2011. We are seeking a controller that is highly motivated, analytical and well organized to manage the full operations of the accounting department as we continue to grow. The controller will be a key member of the Finance Committee as well as the overall organization.
Job Reporting Relationships:
Report to: Executive Director
Oversees: All accounting operations and services
Education/Training: A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance required. Knowledge of non-profit accounting preferred. Certified Public Accountant license a plus.
Skill(s): Speaks and understands English; proficient reading, writing, grammar, and mathematics skills; proficient interpersonal relations and communication skills; proficient analytical skills; demonstrated management and supervisory skills; and valid driver’s license. Proficient computer skills required including Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint; Quick Books experience preferred.
Experience: A minimum of five (5) years of related accounting experience required; experience with financial reporting, cash management, insurance, payroll, financial analysis, taxes and budgeting.
The Controller will work collaboratively with all members of the Family Safety Center and will have primary responsibility for the day-to-day operations of the accounting department including general ledger, month-end close and reconciliation work, working with third party accounting services and external auditors, financial reporting to grant agencies, budgeting, reporting to Board of Directors and the Finance Committee and other activities as needed by the Center.
Responsibilities Include the Following:
- Generate, review and analyze monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, including variance analysis preparation, to ensure that all financial information has been recorded accurately
- Generate monthly adjusting journal entries and prepare account reconciliations
- Coordination with external auditors for the year-end audit and I.R.S. Form 990 tax return preparation including preparation of year-end audit schedules and review of audit report and tax return drafts
- Work with third party accounting services for payroll
- Develop and track proposals and reports for foundation and corporate fundraising
- Providing periodic reports as needed
- Quarterly reporting to the Board of Directors and reporting to the Finance Committee as needed
- Manage the cash operations, insurance program, accounts receivable and accounts payable processes.
- Manage the accounting for contributions received and pledged and account for temporary and permanently restricted funds
- Assisting the Executive Director with budgeting and forecasting
- Implement strategies to achieve goals as established in the department’s annual operating budget/plan
- Assist other employees with any accounting related matters and help management stay within budgeted expenditures
- Ensure appropriate internal controls, policies, process and procedures are in place
- Ensure the department’s compliance with operating standards and procedures and outside regulatory requirements including external reporting requirements
- Organize the work and activities of the accounting department
- Communicate with appropriate management and staff
- Maintaining the general ledger accounting system, including the chart of accounts, period-end closing process and financial statement report creation and maintenance
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills to Include:
- Self- starter with ability to quickly develop solutions to problems
- Streamline processes
- Ability to use good judgment to plan and accomplish goals
- Detail oriented with ability to think critically
- Technical accounting expertise including familiarity with key GAAP concepts related to nonprofit accounting and willingness to research technical GAAP issues that may arise
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks, grasp concepts quickly and work independently
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and analytical skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with other members of the Center and the Board of Directors
Email resumes to: Mable Hudson at firstname.lastname@example.org.