Revision Date: February 13, 2014
- Job Title: Chief Financial Officer
- Reports To: President & CEO
- Positions Supervised: Finance Assistant, Human Resources Generalist
- Status: Permanent Full-Time
- FLSA: Exempt
- Salary Plan: Admin
- Pay Grade: N/A
- Hours: 8:30am to 5:00pm Monday – Friday. Other as required
Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will lead the Mid-South Food Bank’s financial policy and direction while partnering with the Board and staff to execute the organization’s overall strategy. S/he will lead all financial administration, business planning and budgeting. The CFO will work closely with the finance committee of the Board of Directors. The CFO will lead the Mid-South Food Bank’s finance, human resources (HR), and information technology (IT).
Specific responsibilities include:
- Partner with the CEO, COO, & CDO on all operational and strategic issues; provide recommendations based on financial analysis and projections, cost identification and allocation and revenue/expense analysis.
- Participate in the ongoing strategic planning process.
- Oversee long-term budgetary planning and cost management.
- Engage the Chief Development Officer to align financial management with short- and long-term goals, financial planning and projections.
- Engage the finance committee around issues, trends and changes in the operating model.
Financial and Operational Management
- Lead the budgeting process and oversee the implementation of budgets.
- Present operational metrics both internally and externally.
- Ensure that finance staff and database manager maintain financial record systems in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, and monitor the use of all funds.
- Prepare and communicate quarterly and annual financial statements for senior leadership, finance committee and Board of Directors.
- Manage cash flow and forecasting; direct all financial, project-based, donor database and departmental accounting.
- Coordinate all audit activities and form 990s for Mid-South Food Bank.
- Evaluate and oversee all benefits negotiations.
- Oversee and monitor the financial reporting and metrics for grantees on a quarterly basis.
- Recommend improvements to the systems in place for finance, HR and IT and manage the systems going forward.
- Develop and manage direct staff
- Engage other members of the team to facilitate collaboration that ensures that all financial, IT, and HR solutions positively support Mid-South Food Bank’s evolving strategy.
The CFO will be a leader with at least 10 years of broad finance experience, including gathering and evaluating finances and making recommendations to senior leadership. S/he will have ideally have experience managing finance (accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting), HR, and IT for a mid-size nonprofit (minimum budget of $4MM).
The CFO will have the following experience and attributes:
- A minimum of a BS and CPA/CMA; MBA a plus.
- Evidence of being a proactive partner to the chief executive. If coming from the for-profit world, nonprofit board experience preferred.
- Demonstrated excellence in managing finance, accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting.
- Skill in examining, developing, reengineering, and recommending financial, HR, and technology policies and procedures.
- Strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model.
- A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality. Needs to be seen as a team player who is committed to lifelong learning.
- A hands-on manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic, mission-driven environment.
- An effective communicator, with strong oral and written skills.
- Strong commitment to developing team members.
Our mission is to fight hunger through the efficient collection and distribution of wholesome food, education and advocacy.
Our vision is creating a hunger-free Mid-South.
- Stewardship & Accountability
Interested candidates should email, fax or mail resume and cover letter with salary history to: Human Resources, Mid-South Food Bank, 239 South Dudley, Memphis, TN 38104 Fax (901) 528-1172 email@example.com
Job title: Finance Assistant
Reports To: CFO Status: Permanent Full-Time FLSA: Non-exempt Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday; some overtime as needed
Job Summary: Responsible for various functions in support of finance as well as clerical assistance for the CFO. Duties include processing payroll, preparing monthly journal entries and reconciliations, processing deposits and accounts payable, preparing finance and budget reports, maintaining all finance files.
Verify and code and deposit log sheets, enter into Quickbooks; file deposit checks, copies, log sheets and reports, verify deposit entries to bank statement; reconcile donations monthly to Development Department. Open and date stamp vendor invoices, obtain appropriate approvals, code invoices according to budgeted categories, calculate allocations for shared expenses, enter into Quickbooks, run batch reports, match checks, invoices, payment stubs and payment records, mail checks, file all documentation. Edit and print timecards, calculate timecards, enter payroll data, check and confirm all payroll forms, submit and verify payroll data, file payroll documentation. Prepare and enter monthly journal entries, prepare monthly balance sheet account reconciliations, prepare and submit grant and contract invoices, prepare monthly allocations and reports. Assist in annual budget preparation, audit and NAR reporting, and other annual reporting tasks. Serve as backup for Receptionist, answering phones and greeting visitors. Maintain positive interpersonal relationships with donors, volunteers, agency representatives, visitors, management, staff and board of directors. Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Two years of college with courses in business/accounting plus 2-4 years general accounting experience. Associates or Bachelors in accounting preferred. Knowledge of generally accepted accounting and bookkeeping principles and procedures. Computer skills including proficiency in Outlook, Microsoft Word and intermediate to advanced Excel and accounting software. Quickbooks experience preferred. Knowledge of good record keeping procedures and ability to maintain accurate records and files. Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Organizational skills with attention to detail and ability to multi-task. Ability to type 45 words per minute and use 10-key by touch. Professional and pleasant demeanor with all internal and external contacts. Motivated self-starter who can anticipate needs and handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment under pressure-sensitive situations.
* Apply in person, 239 South Dudley St., Memphis, TN 38104, 8:30 – 4:30 M-F. No calls or emails, please.