Job Title: Commute Options Ambassador
Company: Innovate Memphis
Work sites will include the Innovate Memphis office, employment locations, street festivals, public parks, community organizations, and other public events in Memphis.
Positions are open until filled.
Please contact: email@example.com
Please include “Commute Options Ambassadors” in the subject line
Do you have a passion for bicycling, transit and walking? Do you enjoy encouraging others to take healthy, environmentally friendly transportation choices? Innovate Memphis is hiring 2-3 Commute Options Ambassadors to talk about transportation choices at worksites and around Memphis. Ambassadors will work as a team to increase transit use, bicycling, vanpool and walking to work and school. The project is funded with a Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality
(CMAQ) grant for 18-24 months. The goal is to reduce people driving alone to work. The Commute Options Ambassadors will provide outreach and communications on Commute Options Travel Demand Management (TDM) Initiative programs. The Ambassadors will talk to employers and commuters about transportation choices, answer their questions, organize events and promotions, and distribute informational materials. Ambassadors will work as a team and independently under direction of the Commute Options Manager and Transportation and Mobility Project Manager. Ideal candidates are responsible, friendly and outgoing self-starters who have a desire to help their community.
Hours include some evenings and weekends, working indoors and outdoors (in various weather), and a combination of office tasks, outreach and events.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to, the following:
- Schedule events and engagement opportunities for Commute Options with employers, staff, business associations, community organizations, volunteers, and other organizations and agencies.
- Make presentations at events and workshops, in formal and informal settings.
- Lead physical activities such as bike rides, walks, and trips by transit.
- Attend community events and fairs to promote transportation choices.
- Engage people from diverse backgrounds, including different cultural backgrounds, income levels, education levels, and types of jobs.
- Maintain relationships with community and stakeholder groups.
- Propose ideas about how to get more people taking transit, walking and bicycling.
- Provide customer service; promptly respond to inquiries and resolve concerns.
- While on duty, wear a Commute Options uniform (provided by the program) and a bicycling helmet when bicycling to and from events.
- Represent Innovate Memphis and the Commute Options program in a positive, responsible, professional manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Work sites will include the Innovate Memphis office, employment locations, street festivals, public parks, community organizations, and other public events in Memphis.
The ideal candidates possess a passion for making meaningful change in Memphis and are ready to work in a high-energy, openly collaborative work environment.
- Be comfortable speaking with the public and communicate effectively with all types of people
- Work well in an unstructured and informal environment, with limited supervision
- Work well in a team and foster team spirit
- Be punctual and reliable
- Be able to solve problems, think creatively, and self-motivate
- Have experience with public outreach
- Be enthusiastic about transportation options and helping members of the public
- Be committed to social justice and increasing access to transportation choices for everyone
- Have familiarity and personal experience with using Memphis transit, including some knowledge of routes, schedules, and TransLoc Rider app
- Have familiarity and personal experience with using other transportation options including walking, bicycling, and car-share (like Zipcar)
- Have experience bicycling in urban traffic and own a bicycle in good working condition
Desirable Skills, Experience and Knowledge
- Be proficient in a language other than English (desirable)
- Be proficient with Microsoft Office applications and basic data entry and email
- Be familiar with social media
- Have bicycle mechanic skills (desirable)
- Be able to lift up to 35 pounds, and able to work outdoors all day and in any weather
- Own an approved bicycling helmet (helmet can be provided)
Salary: Hourly at $12/hour, depending on experience, plus benefits package. Two positions available at 25 to 35 hours per week.