Opening date: September 12, 2016
Closing date: September 16, 2016
Job title: Homeless Hotline Client Specialist
Reports To: Homeless Hotline Program Manager
Compensation level: Clerical C
Mail or forward resume or application to MIFA Human Resources, 910 Vance Ave, Memphis, TN 38126 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. prior to the closing date. No phone calls, please.
With the goal of ensuring that no child sleeps on the street or in a place unmeant for human habitation, this position answers calls to the 24/7 telephone Hotline for homeless families. Activities include answering calls as they come in, screening and referring callers to appropriate services, and inputting into the computer device basic caller information and disposition in to the CoAction Net data base.
- Associate Degree or two years post high school education
- Two years of experience working in a social service or customer service environment, preferably with homeless families
- Proficient operating communication systems (computers, email, laptops, multi-line telephone, faxes, scanners, and presentation equipment.), Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, with the ability to learn various database systems, i.e., HMIS and CoAction Net
- Ability to work non-traditional hours as well as be on-call during nights, weekends and holidays as needed
Major Responsibilities and Related Tasks
- Answer calls made to the 24/7 telephone Hotline for homeless families
- Ensure that calls to the 24/7 Hotline are responded to, and appropriate referral are made
- Submit service activity reports accurately and timely
- Serve as a liaison between homeless families and the shelter providers
- Network with community partners to ensure that homeless families receive the appropriate services
- Submit actuate and timely activity report
- Screen walk-in families in a prompt and compassionate manner, providing the most appropriate services possible
- Maintain on-going communication and collaboration with shelter providers to ensure shelter placement for families
- Take the initiative to find a resolution for problems other than housing that the client may need assistance with; make appropriate and prompt referrals to other service providers
- Check e-mails and respond back accordingly on a daily basis
- Secure all required information needed for case file to document the family household, homeless verification, ID for all family members, proof of all income
- Ability to exercise flexibility when necessary with respect to addressing family’s needs
- Submit actuate and timely activity reports
- Serve on the Emergency Housing Partnership Management team to develop, evaluate, and report on program activity.
- Service as an active and engaged team EHP team member
- Maintain contact with shelter providers to ensure that homeless families are receiving needed services, that MIFA is sending appropriate referrals, and to maintain an effective collaboration
- Attend meetings as required
- Work cooperatively with other members of the MIFA Emergency Services and Rapid Rehousing teams
- Effective problem-solving and negotiation skills
- Excellent people skills and verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail in follow-up paper work
- Ability to prioritize workload, work independently, and possess individual initiative
- Ability to remain calm and focused in situations where clients or involved parties may be angry or anxious
- Ability to handle client and donor information confidentially and discreetly
- Ability to welcome and respect people of diverse ages, races, household compositions and persons in crisis
- Other duties as assigned.
Hotline Program Manager; Full-time (40hours per week)/Non-Exempt
Starting Rate $12.60 per hour
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk (or means to transport oneself); sit; use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move 15 to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision.
Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high. Position may also require ongoing or periodic exposure to high crime environments. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to moderate to high levels of stress during peak periods, and atypical work hours are periodically required.
MIFA full-time benefits: MIFA employees may be eligible to participate in the following benefits programs on or before the 90-day trial period: Medical and dental insurance plans, short-term disability, long-term disability, employee assistance program, paid time-off (PTO), employer sponsored life insurance, paid holidays, and MIFA’s matching 401k plan after a year of service.
MIFA employment guidelines:
MIFA is an equal opportunity employer.
MIFA is a non-smoking facility.
Employment documents: (1) Application and/or resume; (2) I-9; (3) Form W-4; (4) Official transcripts verifying education if education is a requirement of the job.
Employment authorization and identification: Current federal law requires that documents be presented which verify both employment authorization and identification. One or more of the following documents must be presented before employment: Social Security card, state driver’s license/identification, U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, other U.S. government document.
Please note that it is the practice of MIFA not to allow the employment of relatives or of those living at the same address other than in the job classifications of special, temporary, or substitute.
MIFA’s mission: Supporting the independence of vulnerable seniors and families in crisis through high-impact programs. Our vision: Uniting the community through service.
Our values are to welcome and respect all people, act with integrity, value individual initiative and ability, serve individuals and the community as an act of faith, and balance humanitarian goals with sound business practices.
Our vision: Uniting the community through service.
Our mission: Supporting the independence of vulnerable seniors and families in crisis through high-impact programs.