Aspire Teacher Residency (ATR)
Aspire Public Schools, California’s top-performing large, high-poverty school system, changes the odds for low-income students. Currently, Aspire educates over 15,000 students in 40 schools in California and Memphis, TN and makes a promise to every single Aspire student: College for Certain. Over the past six years, nearly 100% of Aspire’s seniors graduated with admission to a four-year college or university.
The Aspire Teacher Residency (ATR) is an intensive teacher training program that recruits and trains talented individuals of all ages and backgrounds to become highly-effective teachers. Similar to the medical residency model, ATR prepares teachers by pairing theory and practice through master’s level coursework and classroom practicum. The goal is to provide Teacher Residents with the theory and give them the opportunity to apply it in practice with the support of a successful Mentor Teacher.
Aspire is a national organization with schools in California and Tennessee. Residency opportunities are available in both states. We are currently offering two programs:
- ATR – California program: Train at an Aspire school in California for one year, then teach with Aspire in California for 3 years (or more!). Residency placements are available in East Palo Alto, Oakland, Richmond, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Stockton and Modesto.
- ATR – Memphis program: Train at an Aspire school in Memphis, TN for one year, then teach and help open new Aspire schools in Memphis for 3 years (or more!).
The program offers:
- A Master of Arts in Education and Teaching Credential (Multiple Subject, English, Math, Science, Social Studies, or Special Education) from the University of the Pacific (CA) or Relay Graduate School of Education (Memphis, TN) at a deeply discounted tuition rate
- A $13,500 stipend, plus medical benefits, for the first year
- The opportunity to work in a classroom with a highly-effective Mentor Teacher four days/week for an entire school year
- Priority hiring for a teaching position at an Aspire school and tuition-reimbursement benefits for Residents who successfully complete the first year
Application Closing Date: December 2, 2016
Go to the following website to apply: http://aspirepublicschools.org/join/atr/how-apply/
For additional questions feel free to email Terrell Washington, our Memphis Recruiter, at firstname.lastname@example.org