Hiring Event 1/24/17
Apply in person. Receive a job offer that day!
The Tennessee Department of Transportation is hiring motivated individuals to serve as Operations Technicians.
Applicants are encouraged to bring a resume and proof of their highest level of education with them to the event.
|Date||Tuesday, January 24, 2017|
|Time||8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. EST|
|Location||International Harvester Clubhouse
4523 Canada Road
Lakeland, TN 38002
|Position||TDOT Operations Technician|
|Area of Service||Fayette and Shelby Counties|
Applicants should apply in person for the desired position. TDOT representatives will be available to review applications/resumes, conduct interviews, and make contingent job offers the same day. Official job offers are contingent on providing proof of education and passing a pre-employment drug screening.
Operations Technicians, or Op Techs, serve as the front line of defense in keeping Tennessee roads safe. Thousands of Tennesseans and visitors count on Op Techs to keep things moving every day. Op Techs have a passion to serve and enjoy taking on challenges in an ever-changing outdoor work environment.
- high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent
- valid driver’s license
- health, dental, and vision insurance
- retirement options
- paid sick and annual leave
Summary: Under immediate supervision, performs labor and data collection work of average difficulty in the area of highway maintenance, survey, construction, or inspection of a roadway, bridge, or other transportation structures; performs related work as required; responsible for following instructions quickly and accurately.
Distinguishing Features: This is the entry level class in the Operations Technician sub-series. An employee in this class performs labor and data collection work in the area of maintenance, inspection, repair, and/or construction. An employee in this class may also operate roadway maintenance equipment, perform roadway maintenance work, and perform paraprofessional civil engineering assistance work, such as conducting materials or soils tests and performing geometric or algebraic calculations. This class differs from Operations Technician Senior in that an incumbent of the latter performs technical civil engineering work and supervises inspection and maintenance labor staff and activities.
Necessary Special Qualifications: Applicants for this class must:
- Possess and maintain a Class D driver’s license valid to operate vehicles in the State of Tennessee.
- Possess and maintain, or obtain at their own expense and within eleven months of hire or promotion, a Class A Commercial Driver’s License with an N endorsement (a 57 restriction is allowable) that is valid in the State of Tennessee. Employees will have five months from hire or promotion into title to obtain the applicable permits leading to eligibility for the specific required license.
- Employees not meeting the age requirements for the Class A Commercial Driver’s License with an N endorsement must possess and maintain, or obtain at their own expense and within eleven months of hire or promotion into title, a Class B Commercial Driver’s License that is valid in the State of Tennessee. When the age requirements are met, the employee must, at their own expense and within eleven months, obtain a Class A Commercial Driver’s License with N endorsement (a 57 restriction is allowable) that is valid in the State of Tennessee.
Examination Method: Education and Experience,100%, for Preferred Service positions.