“Memphis is not a melting pot, but rather a salsa. You can combine all kind of ingredients and these don’t lose their essence. The Bluff City is a story of diversity, flavor and celebration.”
Join the dynamic Latino Memphis team, a group of diverse individuals passionate about Memphis and devoted to connecting, collaborating, and advocating for Latino Memphians. The work of Latino Memphis is a collective approach that aims to create a vibrant Latino middle class in Memphis; a concept that will not only impact Latinos, but the entire community. Latino Memphis remains more committed than ever to raising the voice of Latinos in our region and working toward building a vibrant city.
● The largest Latino-serving nonprofit in West Tennessee
● Latino Memphis has become the go-to organization for issues impacting the Hispanic community in the Mid-South.
● Latino Memphis has over thirty happenings unique to the organization including three large events, the Latino Memphis Festival, Congreso: The Latino Memphis Conference, and Day of the Dead Fiesta.
The Derechos Immigration Program is a non-profit immigration law practice developed by Latino Memphis to address the most foundational needs of its clients. Designed to provide legal representation to low-income people in Memphis, TN, we work to make our services accessible by offering nominal fees on a sliding scale pricing structure, flexible hours, developing community partnerships and organizing and participating in outreach events. Derechos represents clients in both affirmative immigration cases and defensive removal proceedings.
In light of the changing environment of local and national immigration policy, we are hiring an attorney who has criminal and immigration law experience to expand our representation to include detention and post removal order work.
Reports to: Legal Director
● The Staff Attorney will provide direct representation to clients who are in removal proceedings and/or have been detained because of a criminal issue, or who have a prior order of removal.
● The Staff Attorney will be expected to be available to drive from Memphis, TN to Jena, LA, where most of the clients in the Memphis Court jurisdiction are detained and address clients’ criminal and immigration issues.
● In addition to responsibilities relating to representing clients, the Staff Attorney’s duties will also include participating in outreach events, attendance at organizational staff meetings, and participation in Latino Memphis sponsored events.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
● At least three years of experience in criminal and immigration law required.
● Spanish language skills are preferred.
● Licensure in Tennessee or a willingness to become licensed is a necessity.
Latino Memphis is an equal opportunity employer