Under the general supervision of the Public Relations Manager, the Senior Public Relations Coordinator coordinates various communications and public relations plans, programs and projects; conducts media relations; and provides assistance to the Director of Marketing & Communications to build local and regional awareness of Youth Villages among the general public and key stakeholder groups, with focus on outlying states where the organization has locations. Coordinates the digital PR strategy for Youth Villages in helping to identify social influencers, etc. Performs other related duties as assigned or directed to meet the goals and objectives of the department. Ideal candidate should have strong media relations in the Memphis market, as well as experience with regional and national media.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists the Public Relations Manager with the development and implementation of comprehensive traditional and digital public relations plans for Youth Villages and its various services, programs and events.
- Conducts media relations in key markets to support overall organizational and departmental objectives; works with the news media both proactively and reactively. Is on call 24/7 for journalists and crisis situations.
- Stays apprised of situations in key markets, ensuring PR is conducted accurately, timely, within budget parameters and in a way that supports operational goals.
- Regularly evaluates the effectiveness of PR strategies and tactics and reports on status of plans and results of work.
- Stays apprised of issues affecting the organization, including competitor work.
- Conducts media training and coaches and prepares staff for news media interviews.
- Creates media and communications materials such as news releases, news advisories, fact sheets, talking points, speaking points, press kits, etc. Is responsible for ensuring all materials are current and easily accessible to media in media center
- Conducts programs and events, such as news conferences and training classes.
- Ability to interview families, young people and write stories for various uses.
- Skilled writer with the ability as needed to write copy, including: PSAs, speeches, scripts, news releases, and marketing communications materials at the request of manager or director; assists with editing and proofreading upon request; follows AP style
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to take photographs suitable for publication and reproduction utilizing 35mm camera equipment.
- Ability to work with little supervision.
- Understands how to maintain good relations with co-workers, vendors, children and their families, journalists, donors, etc.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor degree in journalism or public relations (majors in communications or marketing may be considered).
- Minimum of five years of experience in public relations/communications, with strong media relations experience preferred. Excellent verbal and written communications skills are required.
- Experience growth and development through our continuous training, as well as tuition and licensure reimbursement, or pursue opportunities to advance both clinically and administratively with Youth Villages.
Apply online by going to: https://youthvillages.hodesiq.com/job_detail.asp?JobID=5487000&user_id=