Whole Child Strategies, Inc. (WCS) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit entity serving Memphis and Shelby County. Our mission is to empower neighborhoods and communities disproportionately affected by poverty to self-determination in addressing barriers that hinder children from graduating on-time, career and college-ready – providing funding, critical supports and coordinated efforts around collective accountability, public
advocacy and community development.
It is our vision all children will graduate high school on time, college and career-ready through the support of revitalized neighborhoods, accountable neighbors, and sustainable systems.
The WCS Neighborhood Organizer will support the work of the Neighborhood Strategy and the Klondike Smokey City Neighborhood Council. This role will assist in the overall implementation of the Whole Child Strategy, focused on school and neighborhood collaboration.
The WCS Neighborhood Organizer will align efforts with the Neighborhood Facilitator and Neighborhood Meeting Specialist, and will work to:
▪ Engage grassroots leaders and stakeholders in a campaign to improve school and neighborhood relations in Klondike Smokey City;
▪ Coordinate Neighborhood Council meetings;
▪ Cultivate and foster relationships with parents, families, and residents to encourage engagement in key decision-making;
▪ Design and execute Neighborhood Council recruitment strategy.
The WCS Neighborhood Organizer will hold office hours within the Klondike Smokey City CDC. The Neighborhood Organizer will spend 80% of their time supporting the work of the Whole Child Strategy and 20% supporting the Klondike Smokey City CDC Executive Director. Note: This position is one-year in length, with the possibility of extension.
The Neighborhood Organizer is responsible for the following categories of work, but should execute all duties as assigned with fidelity as the categories and tasks are not exhaustive but demonstrative:
Duties and Responsibilities:
Neighborhood Council Organizing
▪ Recruit a diverse range of participants to serve on the Neighborhood Council, ensuring representation from all neighborhood stakeholders;
▪ Work closely with the Neighborhood Facilitator and Neighborhood Meeting Specialist to facilitate the development of the Neighborhood Council through capacity building and training opportunities;
▪ Organize Neighborhood Council meetings consisting of allies, coalition partners, school leaders, community members, and other relevant stakeholders;
▪ Execute a plan to engage, develop, and assist local leaders to build long-term community engagement in Klondike Smokey City;
▪ Submit a monthly neighborhood recruitment and community outreach plan to the Whole Child Strategies, Inc. Senior Project Manager
▪ Work closely with the Neighborhood Facilitator and Neighborhood Meeting Specialist to coordinate grassroots organizing campaigns as determined by the Neighborhood Council and/or in accordance with an Implementation Plan;
▪ Regularly assess the success of the community engagement efforts.
▪ Bachelor’s Degree
▪ Minimum two (2) years working in a nonprofit or community development setting;
▪ Process oriented, analytical problem solver, strategic planner, solution-oriented;
▪ Willingness to travel and work evenings and weekends as projects demand;
▪ A valid driver’s license. Continue reading