Quality Control Manager
LEHMAN-ROBERTS COMPANY – A PROUD TRADITION SINCE 1939
Our history goes back to 1939 when W. E. Lehman and George B. Roberts bought the Mississippi and Memphis operations of Carey-Reed Company, a company started by Mr. Roberts’ brother in law in 1907. The new Lehman-Roberts Company located their first asphalt plant and office on Front Street in downtown Memphis. The headquarters were moved to the current address at 1111 Wilson in 1943. In 1971, the company became affiliated with Memphis Stone and Gravel Company through common ownership.
Still a family owned business, Patrick Nelson leads as President in our dedication to the manufacturing of quality hot mix asphalt and the superior placement of that pavement. Anchoring our company’s efforts are the core values of stewardship, continuous improvement, humility and relationships. With manufacturing facilities throughout West Tennessee and North Mississippi, Lehman-Roberts Company specializes in construction projects ranging from commercial parking lots to miles of interstate highway paving throughout the Mid-South.
CURRENT OPPORTUNITY: QUALITY CONTROL MANAGER
Duties will include QC testing, research, plant production guidance and assistance in development of all products. The ideal candidate will be organized, goal orientated, self-directed, with the ability to handle the supervision of several technicians and research projects with minimal supervision or supplied information.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, operations management or related field
- 5+ years of experience in quality control, mix design, and testing of aggregates and asphalt hot mix production
Certificates, Licenses & Registrations:
- Valid driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record
- ASTM/AASHTO testing procedures
- Maintenance and/or gaining of TN, MS, and AR DOT QC & Mix Design Certifications
- BS in Engineering with Professional Engineering Licensure is strongly preferred
- Portland Cement Concrete testing and design experience is a plus but not necessary
Similar industry chemist or lab managers may be considered. Competitive salary and excellent benefit package including health insurance, dental, vision, life, long term disability, 401k, and profit sharing.
- Supervision of QC technician’s schedules and responsibilities
- Management of proper equipment/facility maintenance, certifications, calibrations, and safety within multiple QC laboratories
- Oversight of raw material and finished product testing in accordance with specified DOT, AASHTO, and ASTM standards
- Coordination between our QC Department and our Construction and Customer Sales Departments
- Management of thorough and documented communications between our company and our customer’s quality assurance representatives
- Participation and leadership within our companies’ Continuous Improvement and Safety Initiative Programs
Supervise and work in the lab prepping and performing tests on cylinders, cores, and raw materials to meet specified requirements.
All other duties may be assigned.
This position requires the ability to multi-task, strong organization skills, client and process oriented, a calm and supportive attitude, and the ability to assess business and project needs, as well as client challenges as they arise. This position requires a diverse and demanding set of technical, cognitive, and interpersonal skills. These are the most critical.
Must understand SAFETY and be committed:
- To the health and safety of all employees, subcontractors, customers, and the community;
- To promoting a comprehensive safety culture;
- To individual accountability for following our safety standards; and
- To actively support and participate in a zero-accident environment.
Must be committed to learning the meaning of the company CORE VALUES, as well as their application to the specific, daily duties of the job:
- Humility – freedom from arrogance with a genuine respect for others and their perspectives.
- Relationships – giving priority to people and teamwork over processes.
- Stewardship – taking personal responsibility for the proper care and sharing of company assets.
- Continuous Improvement – committed to being open-minded, growing and learning.
Manage Multiple Tasks: Apply sound time and project management to track, prioritize, and complete multiple assigned tasks in a fluctuating work environments and multiple distractions (phone calls, appointments, proposals, etc.)
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Lehman-Roberts Company and/or the Memphis Stone & Gravel Company and their designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.