Category Archives: Community Events/Social Services
11:30 AM – 12:30 PM
Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library
Join Baptist Memorial Health Care at the Memphis Public Library for the Quarterly Healthy Living Speaker Series.
Baptist will partner with the American Heart Association to offer the Family & Friends CPR course.
“Family & Friends CPR is for people who want to learn CPR but do not need a CPR course completion card to meet a job requirement. This course is ideal for community groups, new parents, grandparents, babysitters, and others interested in learning how to save a life.”
This free 23-minute class could help save a life.
This program will take place 6/19/2019 in Meeting Room C at the Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library, 3030 Poplar Ave..
Light lunch is provided at 11:30 A.M. and the seminar will begin at 11:50 A.M.
For more information or to register, please call 901-227-3512.
- Acadian Ambulance–Tennessee
- Always Best Care Senior Services
- American Job Center – Greater Memphis Region
- Associated Builders & Contractors – West TN
- Back Yard Burgers
- Baptist Memorial Healthcare Corporation
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Memphis
- Brock Services, LLC
- Career Academy, LLC
- City of Memphis
- City of Memphis AmeriCorps VISTA
- City of Memphis Public Safety Recruitment
- Cleveland Track Material
- CMI Healthcare Services
- COM – Manhood University & Women Offering Women Support (WOWS)
- COM – Office of Community Affairs – A Better Memphis
- Corky’s Food Manufacturing
- Durham School Services/Transportation
- Elvis Presley Enterprises
- Facilities Performance Group
- FCC Forrest City
- FedEx Express
- FedEx Freight
- FedEx Ground
- FedEx Ground Olive Branch
- FedEx Ground Smartpost
- FedEx Office
- FedEx Services
- FedEx Trade Networks
- GMACW/ Move-Hire
- iHeart Media
- Ingram Micro
- Job Corps/Alutiiq Commercial Enterprises, LLC
- Kele, Inc.
- LEDIC Realty Company
- Lees Logistics
- LeMoyne-Owen College – Admissions
- Levy Restaurants
- Lowe’s Home Improvement
- Memphis Area Transit Authority
- Memphis Grizzlies Foundation
- Memphis Mental Health Institute
- Memphis Public Libraries – Digital Literacy
- Memphis Public Libraries – LINC/2-1-1
- Mimeo.com, Inc.
- Moore Tech – Admissions
- National Guard Products, Inc.
- News America Marketing
- Nike Retail
- One & Only BBQ
- Opportunity Memphis Kiosk
- Phelps Security
- Renewal by Andersen
- Republic Services
- Resume Review and Mock Interviews
- Roadmaster Drivers School
- Security One Inc
- Shelby County Community Service Agency
- Shelby County Community Services
- Shelby County Crime Victims & Rape Crisis Center
- Shelby County Government
- Shelby County School Division of Nutrition Services
- Shelby County Sheriff
- Shelby Residential and Vocational Services, Inc.
- Sodexo at Lausanne
- Southwest TN Community College – Admissions
- State of TN; Labor and Workforce Development
- TCAT Memphis – Admissions
- Ticket to Work – Allied Professional Services
- U. S. Army Corps of Engineers, Memphis District
- U.S. Army
- U.S. Army National Guard
- Unistar-Sparco Computers, Inc
- United Elevator Services, LLC
- University of Memphis
- University of Memphis – Admissions
- University of TN Health Science Center
- WHBQ-TV FOX 13
- Wright Medical
Updated List 7/10/19 2:30 pm
- Dress for Success Memphis
- Empire Beauty
- Tie & Scarf Bar
- Professional Headshots
- Memphis Public Libraries – JobLINC
Just City and C.L.I.M.B. Partnering to Host Expungement Clinic
Just City and C.L.I.M.B. (Creating Lifetime Independence Moving Barriers) of Riverside Missionary Baptist Church (The River) will host an expungement clinic on Saturday, November 10 from 10AM2PM.
By providing an expungement clinic, the organizations seek to improve the lives of Shelby County citizens whose past criminal history could bar them from obtaining employment, securing housing, or qualifying for a loan for a car, home, or education.
One of C.L.I.M.B.’s leaders, Tammy Cowan was inspired to bring the expungement clinic to the 38109 zip code because it’s necessary to help to eliminate poverty by empowering people to take steps to improve their own lives.
Initiating an expungement clinic by partnering with Just City is one way our organization can make a major impact in the community. By eliminating barriers in our workforce, many people have an opportunity to become self-sufficient, obtain fulfilling careers and housing to support their families. Also, recidivism rates are lowered, stated C.L.I.M.B. director Amber Covington”.
Inspired by the work of the Shelby County Public Defender’s Office, Just City was founded in 2015 by a group of activists, attorneys, and civic leaders. Just City’s mission is to advance policies and programs within Shelby County and the State of Tennessee that strengthen the right to counsel and mitigate the damage caused to families and neighborhoods as a result of contact with the criminal justice system.
C.L.I.M.B., a workforce and economic development program; mission is to alleviate suffering, poverty, and oppression by helping build secure, productive, and just communities by promoting career and economic growth in 38109 and 38116.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 901-646-1342.
Coffee& Conversation Class (English as a Second Language)
Come and enjoy delicious snacks from different cultures
Fire Museum of Memphis*
- What does a firefighter do?
- See inside a fire truck
- Information about fire safety
- How do I get a free smoke alarm?
- Giveaways to participants
Quasi Food Truck of Memphis will be onsite.
*Donations will be accepted for our Memphis Fire Department
Service Over Self – Summer Opportunities
From Choose901 Blog
SOS hosts weeklong camps throughout the summer for groups of junior high and high school students to volunteer to replace roofs in the neighborhoods of Binghampton and Orange Mound. Registration is now open for their 2019 Summer Camp season.
Groups can either register for SOS Binghampton or for SOS114 in Orange Mound. Camp tuition is $365 per person for the week in Binghampton and $320 per person in Orange Mound. The fee covers housing, meals, materials, tools, programming, and an SOS camp t-shirt. Volunteers stay on-site at Service Over Self’s main campus on Poplar Ave. if serving in Binghampton and the Heights, or at Union Avenue Baptist Church if serving in Orange Mound.
Each camp week runs Sunday through Saturday. In addition to the time spent at worksites, campers also participate in chapel and group devotional and have blocks of free time as well as a designated afternoon during which they are encouraged to go and explore Memphis.
Learn more about programming, see a sample schedule, read camper testimonials, and get answers to frequently asked questions at sosmemphis.org/camps.
SOS is also hiring college students to work with volunteer groups as part of the Summer Staff.
There are about 50 positions that need to be filled including team leaders, construction managers, photographers & videographers, camp coordinators, and more. Staff members are paid $250 per week plus room and board. See a full list of available positions and apply here.