Job Title: Executive Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
Purpose: DeNeuville Learning Center (DeNeuville) is seeking a creative, energetic, hands-on Executive Director. DeNeuville’s mission is to assist women of all backgrounds and cultures in learning the skills needed to make positive choices for themselves and their families. Women come to DeNeuville from over 20 different countries as well as the City of Memphis and Shelby County. The services offered at DeNeuville are part of a comprehensive, holistic approach that focuses on educational, social, emotional, spiritual and economic needs of the women served.
The Executive Director is responsible for providing direction to and leadership in the achievement of DeNeuville’s vision, mission, strategic goals and objectives.
Key Accountabilities/Desired Outcomes
Responsibilities of this position include:
- Oriented to serve others over self. Values the servant leadership model of guiding organizations and people.
- Willing to personally embody mission and vision of DeNeuville.
- Focused on the growth and well-being of students, staff, volunteers and all others who support DeNeuville.
- Develops and directs implementation of policies and procedures for staff and DeNeuville supported programs and activities as approved by the Board of Directors.
- Negotiates and oversees maintenance of all DeNeuville’s contracts, grants, sponsorships, collaborations, and lease and purchase agreements.
- · Responsible for managing physical asset – building, land, equipment, etc.
- Takes a leadership role in the planning and implementation of DeNeuville’s fundraising efforts such as grant applications, corporate sponsorships and ongoing donor solicitation.
- · Establishes partnerships and collaborative relationships with other organizations.
- Maintains communication with the Board of Directors and keeps them informed of DeNeuville’s operations so that the Board has adequate information for carrying out its policymaking and governance responsibilities and is able to act in the best interest of DeNeuville.
- Assists the board in recruiting new members.
- Provides orientation of DeNeuville’s services and board member responsibilities and expectations.
- Oversees the implementation of the strategic/business plan and reports outcomes routinely to the Board of Directors.
- Determines staffing needs based on DeNeuville’s goals and objectives.
- Develops job performance and compensation plans with board approval and within the limits of the budget.
- Responsible for the recruitment and retention of appropriate staff and volunteers (including training, supporting, evaluating and supervising staff).
- In collaboration with the Board Finance Committee, prepares the budget for presentation to the full Board.
- Works with financial representative to prepare the fiscal activity report for Board review.
- Prepares and maintains a system for monitoring the budget and proper accounting of funds.
- Ensures DeNeuville adheres to professional standards of budgeting, accounting, bookkeeping, reporting and fiscal discipline.
- · Provides the necessary information to assist with the annual audit of financial statements.
- Provides oversight/direction in the promotion, marketing, design and delivery of DeNeuville’s programs and services benefitting the organization’s vision and mission.
- Provides quarterly assessment of programs and makes recommendations to Board of Directors regarding continuation or modification of programs.
- Acts as the chief spokesperson for DeNeuville.
- Promotes good public relations by representing the organization and having positive relationships as its Executive Director in all dealings with other organizations, clients, volunteers, individuals, members, funders, and the general public including Board members and staff.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum five to seven (5-7) years successful leadership experience in the non-profit or private sector required including knowledge of major gifts, annual giving, foundation/corporate solicitations, grant writing and communications desirable.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships.
- Experience in the greater Memphis area preferred.
- Experience in development, volunteer management, event management, communications, and supervising staff of ten or more preferred.
- The ED will be thoroughly committed to DeNeuville’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience. Excellence in organizational management with the ability to develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- Possess strong administrative abilities, effective written communication skills, understanding of development and financial management skills.
- Be technically savvy with a proven track record of learning and using software as well as database and website management.
- Strong written and verbal communication.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven and self-directed.
- Personal transportation is required. Must possess a valid driver’s license and show proof of liability insurance coverage as required by the laws of the State of Tennessee.
- Travel to attend conferences and meetings, both locally and nationally, required.
- · Some night and weekend work involved.
Compensation and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
All interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to Jeni Stephens who is conducting DeNeuville’s Executive Director Search. Please send resume’firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 p.m. on October 22, 2012. No phone calls please.